Shortness of breath and started spotting with cramps. Pregnancy test negative. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I started spotting on 11/13/12 for 11 days and never had regular period. I took a pregnancy test on 12/14 which was negative and never started period. I started spotting again on 12/20, brownish color with a little cramping. could I be pregnant or could it be something else? No symptoms of pregnancy. Some shortness of breath past couple of weeks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The mild spotting that you are having could be due to a light period or an implantation bleeding. It was too early on 12/14 to get a positive test for pregnancy. You should test again for pregnancy using a kit and if you get a negative result then pregnancy is ruled out.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
So I took a test and it was neg. If I'm not pregnant, what else would cause spotting for two months in a row and no regular period?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
This could be due to a hormonal disturbance or anaemia, stress, change in environmental factors, thyroid problem, etc. You can consult your gynecologist for a few blood tests to detect the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.