Safe to travel through airways during 8th month of pregnancy. Diet plan for normal delivery?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Is it safe to travel through airways during 8th month.Please let me know the pros and cons as i am planning to travel during my 8th month.
How to take care of Face and skin during pregnancy as i am always feeling fatigued and tired and not able to take care of my skin properly.Please advise.

What food I should take for Normal delivery?

What is the frequency of meals i should have and the varieties of food to have a healthy baby?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I give answers according to your questions as follows:

1)     Air travel is safe for most healthy pregnant women but each airline has a different regulation for pregnant fliers. It is considered safe up to 32-36 weeks of pregnancy for single baby and 32 weeks for twin pregnancy for short period travel (max 6-8 hrs).

You also need permission from your consulting obstetrician with clearance of airline and rule out other possible risk factors if any, like History of Preterm labor, Vaginal bleeding, High BP, Diabetes, Anemia, XXXXXXX Vein Thrombosis/ Air Embolism, Problem with high altitude etc.

If you plan to travel other country/region, then you need to postpone the trip until delivery of the baby to avoid transmission of infectious agents (may need immunization).

Certain things may help you like:

a) Get up and walk around at least once an hour and drink plenty of fluids.
b) Carry medications for pregnancy related problems such as heartburn, skin complaints, constipation, vomiting etc in your kit.
c) Check travel insurance policy for pregnancy.

2)     Some skin changes take place during the nine months of pregnancy like Chloasma, Acne, Stretch marks, increased pigmentation etc. These are quite normal phenomena and can be treated with consultation of dermatologist. Some skin care products should be avoided during pregnancy.

Follow Basic Routine Skin Care:

a) Cleansing- by moisturizing body wash to maintain essential oils in pregnant skin and promote a healthy glow.
b) Moisturizing and Sun Protection-with at least SPF 15.
c) If your skin is oily or acne prone, then products containing glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acid may be helpful. Topical retinoids or salicylic acid is not recommended.

3) You need to take Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (Milk/Meat/Fish/Pulses/Beans/ Nuts/ Dals/Cereals etc.) with extra 350 Kcal/day than usual and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits. You take always easy digestible food stuff & avoid fatty or spicy one. Drinking lots of fluid/water is required to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation. Iron & calcium supplements is to be continued till the time of delivery and 6 months after that.

4) Total 6-8 meals are to be taken on daily basis with dividing 3-4 major meal and 3-4 small meal in between them. Varieties of foods are according to your choice whether you are vegetarian or non-veg. Food stuffs are already mentioned above.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your better health and successful motherhood.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E