Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Ruptured left illiopsoas 18 months ago, retracted to upper tendon and calcifed, displacing adductor. Seeking surgeon advice

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
i ruptured my left illiopsoas 18 months ago, it has retracted to the upper tendon and has calcified, and is displacing an adductor, i am seeking a surgeon that has experience removing a rupture such as this, thanks
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 7 hours later
Dear user,
Thanks for asking your query.

An isolated Iliopsoas rupture is a rare condition. It sure must have retracted and calcified as you said. The line of treatment is either to try and refresh the torn edges and achieve an end to end suture (with lengthening of muscle) or to use a tendon graft to maintain the function.

As you realize its a little late for end to end suturing, but to harvest a graft and use it might just work. Finding a person experienced will be difficult since its a very rare condition, but most orthopaedicians know how to repair or reconstruct a torn muscle. So visit your orthopaedician and ask him what he feels about this, or ask him for a reference to a more experienced surgeon.

Hope you find the right person to do the job. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Ruptured left illiopsoas 18 months ago, retracted to upper tendon and calcifed, displacing adductor. Seeking surgeon advice 8 hours later
Yes, thanks, and your presumptions are right on track, that is the treatment I've been seeking, I've visited with 5 surgeons in the Houston medical center, of note, dr's criswell, kolstad, and el kousy

Dr. Criswell only too an X-ray, and immediately recommended removal, thinking it was only bine damage, and mentioned that sometimes such excisions return with a vengeance as he put it

Dr el kousy and his tech engaged the most, recommended another higher resolution ct and mr as well, ultimately, he was reluctant to proceed as the area is close to the femoral artery, and his specialty was more shoulders, it was in navigating his phone operators at the hospital that I was ultimately granted an appointing with him as opposed to one of one of his associates more experienced with hips

Dr kolstad, and especially the tech's at the methodist neuro imaging group have been the best. I spoke with the radiologist whil a bone scan was completing and she was fascinated by it and how it had happened, it was actually just jumping for a backhand overhead at the net that caused it to snap, I'm a tennis player

She developed a dramatic 3-d image if the site, very cool stuff

So, I've had considerable difficulty finding the right surgeon to engage to this, and am frustrated because I am here in the Houston medical center

I am wondering if I should gather my various images and try to get into the program at the mayo clinic

And, I always pay particular attention now to sports injury announcements, and where athletes end up going for some special tear... Surely there's a specialist out there that has an opinion about how to repair the site,

No doubt it's rare, but no way I'm the only one going through this

Thanks for your response

Absolutely any further advice or recommendation you could give would be greatly appreciated

Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 11 minutes later
Dear .
Good to see your reply.

You seem to be headed in right direction. I suggest you search the internet for a sports injury specialist near you.

Wish I could do more.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Ruptured left illiopsoas 18 months ago, retracted to upper tendon and calcifed, displacing adductor. Seeking surgeon advice 36 minutes later
Likwise, thanks to you....

Just one more brief question, the HO exhibited on/in the rupture, that will not spread to the healthy adductor that is competing for the same space as the displaced illiopsoas

Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 15 hours later
Dear .
The adductors are probably getting displaced but might not be competing for space. At the most it will compress it but wont put it out of action. You may try for yourself. Try bringing the left leg over your right one without bending knee. If you can't then the adductors are in trouble, otherwise they are fine.
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor