Pregnant. Have throat infection, advised to take augmentin. Suggest?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Iam 2 months pregnanat.i have throat infection.doctor adviced me to take augmentin 625?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Augmentin is a category B drug and usually safe in pregnancy. Its not known to have any risk in animal trials. Normally it hasnt shown an negative effects on fetus but a category B drug means that adequate human trials data is not available to come to a conclusion. Its often given in pregnancy. But you need to let your doctor know about it. Try taking steam inhalation and saline gargles first.