Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Painful corns on feet. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I am having corns on my feet, which are very painfull...whats the remedy for that?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Corns are skin thickening due to pressure on a particular area.They are usually formed due to ill fitting footwear,high heels or due to abnormal toe shape.
So the main stay is to relieve the pressure on that area.

Some measures for you:
1)Soak the corn in warm water and Epsom salt for 5 to 10 minutes at least 3 times a day.This will soften it and will lessen the pain.

2)Rub it with pumice stone so that some of its soft part is removed.

3)Wear proper fitting sandals/shoes and avoid waering high heels for sometime.

4)Apply a good moisturiser or lotion containing lanolin on the corns.

5)While walking you can use corn pads of foam to ease pain.

6)Avoid using OTC available corn caps as they contain Salicyclic acid and can worsen the condition instead of improving.

7)A fresh slice of lemon can be tied over the corn at night and allowed to remain there the whole night.It helps in dissolving.

8)You can also apply raw papaya juice over it 3 times a day.

If the symptoms are persistent then consider visiting a Physician for evaluation as sometimes antibiotics are required for treating them and rarely surgery is the alternative.

Hope this information is adequate.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor