Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Pain in chest when swallowing, constant. Unable to fill lungs completely with air. Is it due to wrong swallowing of food?

Answered by
Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1995

Answered : 4036 Questions

Posted on Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, I am a 46-year-old female. I have never had any serious health problems. For about a week now I have been experiencing pain in the center of my chest (between breasts and just under this area) every time I swallow either drink or food. The pain is very uncomfortable. It occurs as the food or drink goes down and then subsides. But there is a constant feeling of discomfort. I also feel as if I am unable to fill my lungs fully with air. When I yawn I manage to take a XXXXXXX breath, but when I try to take a XXXXXXX breath normally, I feel as if my lungs are not filling up. I did swallow some food the wrong way a little while back and choked a little. I wondered whether this could be anything to do with it. Thank you so much for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all thanks for sharing the information.

From the description that you have provided it seems that there is some form ulceration in your food pipe or stomach.

Normally the lining of food pipe is very delicate and any food that is rough and not properly chewed or too hot or spicy can easily damage it.

After that when ever the food or liquid passes from that part there is sense of discomfort or pain due to friction over the rough surface.

Please do following which should help.

Take more of liquids.
Take soft diet and in small quantity at a time.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
Chew thoroughly and properly.
Do not eat in haste or fast.
Take antacid if you have.

Normally this should be fine in couple of days with this. If it dose not, then you need to consult your physician for this. You need proper examination by your physician in that case.

Your physician after examination will decide whether there is any need of some investigations.

In most of the cases a course of antacids takes care of the problem.

Still looking to your age, if the problem is severe please see a physician right away and if asked go for EKG just to rule out any other major problem.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on