Noticed a purple lump above wrist. On coumadin with an INR. Should i go to doctor?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi, noticed a lump, the size of a walnut, purple, 3 inches above my wrist. I am on coumadin with an INR, today, of 3.2. I don't know if I should be worried about this lump or if I should go see a doctor. I haven't noticed me bumping into anything to cause the lump.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of the lump in your case could be a spontaneous hematoma, as you are on Coumadin (an anticoagulant). INR of 3.2 is within the normal therapeutic range of 2-4. But still in some cases, minor bleeding may occur, without any injury too at times.

As of now, you can watch the lump, if it does not increase in size, there is no need to worry. However, if it increases in size, you should go to the doctor.

Please get back if you have any additional queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist