Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Nodules behind ears swell with discharge. What could this be?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6486 Questions
Behind both ears i have atleast 5 nodules that swell and get painful and give off a horrible smelling discharge. The discharge is white lumpy like cottage cheese with a smell like vinegar or formic acid. If i dont milk these growths on a regular basis they become very inflammed and grow to the size of almonds behind each ear. I am allergic to nickle but avoid that metal at all costs. I do have a pierced left ear lobe but only use true gold studs.
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Proper ENT evaluation should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From history,it seems that your disease is chronic in nature. You should be properly examined and investigated. There must be some underlying cause that leads to your problem so it needs to be investigated. First your mastoid needs to be examined.It may lead to such nodules,but you didn't mentioned about any hearing problem or any discharge from ear.Any way,it is routine in such cases. You can consult ENT specialist. You also need investigation like routine hemogram,RBS,Pus culture and sensitivity. It may also be due to inadequate& inappropriate antibiotic therapy,so antibiotics should be prescribed after culture and sensitivity report. CT Scan may be needed to confirm extension of disease internally. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor