My wife had a sore throat and cough . She
Dosage of Azithromycin is very high, reduce it to half tablet once a day.
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
Loose stools are a common side effect of azithromycin (Azee 500), but the main problem is the dosage, the doctor seems to be not up to date on the medicine.
Azithromycin is never prescribed 500 milligrams twice a day.
The current evidence based recommendation for azithromycin is 500 mg on the first day, followed by 250 mg once a day for the next 4 days for a total of 5 days, or 500 mg once a day for 3 days only.
Even if the throat looks bad, there is no rational for such higher doses for 3 days.
You must continue the medicine for the next 3 days or 4 days depending on which protocol you follow.
Your wife can take the next dose tomorrow morning at 11:30 and continue taking it at the same time for 3 days.
Loose motion is expected and it is not worrisome, you mus keep her well hydrated by asking her to drink plenty of water.
I hope that answers your query, feel free to write back if you have any doubts.
I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...