My mother is 79 and suffers from Parkinsonism. She has

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mother is 79 and suffers from Parkinsonism. She has been having severe ear pain in the left ear which gets worse when she lies down to sleep. There is some swelling also as I am unable to see inside and there seems to be some wax. We consulted an ENT specialist and he prescribed Ceruklin eardrops thrice daily (15Days)and Combiflam three times daily for 5 days. While Iam giving her the ear drops I am afraid to give her combiflam in view of her tendency to acidity. Please suggest some remedies
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid giving combiflam on a. empty stomach.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sushamapghosh,
Thank you for the query.I have read it & understood your concern.
From the prescription you are referring to... the treating doctor thinks it to be due to ear wax. .the Ceruklin drops are to soften the wax &clear it off...thus relieving pressure in ear &pain too.Doctor has prescribed Tab combiflam to relieve pain &inflammation caused by wax.
Your concern is possible acidity after Combiflam....you can avoid it by...
- Giving the pill with a glass of milk or after food.
-giving the pill in divided dosage more frequently(1/2 pill 6 hourly ) after food or with milk.
-Giving over the counter antacid like Gelusil liquid 2 spoons with the medicine or Gelusil pills to suck.
Mostly in such cases the pain is controlled when ear wax is cleared...Still take her to the doctor for review as per advise.
I hope that answers your query.Any follow up query is welcome.In case you are satisfied,please rate the query before you close it.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng