Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

My husband is thought to have a Parathyroid problem. He

Answered by
Dr. Mirjeta Guni


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2209 Questions

Posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My husband is thought to have a Parathyroid problem. He is to have a nuclear test for a tumor. Is this a normal test for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About high calcium levels;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your husband's health.
High calcium levels with an elevated parathyroid hormone is suggestive for parathyroid adenoma.
The ultrasound can help to detect the adenoma but scintiscan with sestamibi is more sensitive to help the surgeon to localize better the enlarged parathyroid gland.
Once the gland is localized, surgical removal is suggestive if he has long term complications of persisting high calcium levels or if calcium level is over 12 mg/ dl.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on