question-icon

My blood pressure is usually around 125/65 what does the

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Question: My blood pressure is usually around 125/65 what does the lower number mean?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it is the pressure when the heart relaxes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood pressure measurements look at both the pressure in the heart when it contracts and expels blood and also the pressure when it relaxes and blood flows back into the heart.

The top value in a blood pressure reading is the systolic reading- it is the pressure when the heart contracts

The bottom value is the diastolic reading- it is the pressure when the heart relaxes

They are both important.

Both readings- the top and bottom are to be interpreted. A reading of 125/65 is good, both values are within normal range and are acceptable.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James