My baby is 6 months old .. We are starting

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My baby is 6 months old .. We are starting solid food.. Is there any suggestions.. Or can you please tell me how many times and quantity should we give her for proper feeding..
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Start with small quantities

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

When the baby is holding the neck, then during feeding, place her in a feeding chair for babies. Have a small bowl of rice cereal like cerelac, etc that is thin consistency. With a baby spoon, feed her upto 2-3 spoons at a time, 2-3 times a day. Give her rice cereal for 3 weeks or more. Can increase the quantity if baby is demanding more. Can prepare the cereal in breast milk or clean drinking water. After giving cerelac, feed her milk to fill the tummy. Baby may spill the food that is extra or she does not like.
When the baby is around 7 months, other types of cereal maybe introduced. Make sure that clumps of fruits, grains or cereal are not formed in cereal until she is able to swallow better. Around 8-9 months she may eat nicely mashed vegetables and fruits, cookies in milk, etc. Her mother will be able to best judge her readiness to eat certain foods.
If she rejects a food, then it maybe re-introduced at a later date.
Salt and sugar maybe avoided upto 1 year of age so that baby gets familiar with natural taste of foods.
After one year the foods will be similar to adult foods in family.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj