My baby is 25 days old. I have been breastfeeding

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 18 Feb 2019 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 25 days old. I have been breastfeeding her but since past 2-3 days after some feeds she seems to be dissatisfied even after feeding for 45mins to 1 and even after burping. she is passing stools before or during every feed mostly around atleast 6 times daily and even urinating. I'm not sure if I'm having sufficient milk supply to fill her. what do I do to increase my milk supply?
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 9 minutes later
I'm having lactare tablet and granules daily 2 times. My breasts doesn't feel heavy.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on this platform...

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.

Insufficient milk production is a very common complaint by mother. Sometimes this is just a perception when in reality the breast milk production is adequate. Inappropriate anxiety leads to decreased milk production.

These are the few signs of adequate milk production:
If the baby is passing urine 6-8 times a day.
If baby's weight gain is proper that is 20-25 gm/day.
If you are feeling the emptiness of breast after a feed.

Actually, after a proper feed, the baby should not cry and she may fall asleep. But this is not always true.

I would suggest you avoid anxiety, take plenty of fluids and continue lactare. Feed the baby frequently and for a longer duration as stimulation of breast itself increases milk production.
Even after then if you are noticing that the baby is not getting enough milk and production is inadequate consult a doctor to look into the cause and proper counselling. You might need to increase the dose of lactare.

Don't get overly worried for frequent stool as this is common in this age and is due to gastrocolic reflex.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee