Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

MRI results show trace amount of fluid in inferior most left mastoid air cells. Could this be a problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 784 Questions
I am a very healthy 49 year old woman who has been suffering with headaches now for over three weeks. I was on vacation in Cabo ( little to no stress) and woke up one morning with my left ear burning. A headache primarily on the left side of my head has not gone away as well as my left ear feeling plugged and needing to pop. I visited an ent who found nothing but just got my mri brain results. It says at the very bottom of the results that there is a trace amount of fluid in the inferior most left mastoid air cells. Could this be my problem? What can be done about this? I just made another appt with my neurologist but maybe I should go see another end? Thanks so much!
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics, antihistaminics, decongestants Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. You MRI shows minimal fluid in the inferior most mastoid air cell. This can be a sign of coalescent mastoiditis and can present as pain in the ear or that side of head. But is can also be an incidental finding. I would start you on a course of antibiotics with antihistaminics and decongestants along with nasal decongestant drops and analgesics. Some of the aforementioned important drugs are available only on prescription; your ENT surgeon will know about it. Those should resolve that minimal fluid. An HRCT temporal bones will give a better picture about the status if mastoid air cell system. You have stated about the burning sensation- hot flushes, burnin sensation can be a part of symptoms which appear in some females around the peri-menopausal period. Things get better with time and symptoms can be minimized with use of calcium and Isoflavones. Please consult you gynaecologist for that. Feel free to ask another query. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor