Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Lump on the right side of the stomach. Is it an enlarged intestine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 687 Questions
I found a lump on the right side of my stomache what could it be? Is it my intestine pushing through my stomach
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 50 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

To be able to suggest better I would like to know a few more details regarding your condition, please answer the following in as much detail as possible.

1. Since when have you noticed this lump?

2. Where exactly is this lump located, for example, on the right side, just below the ribs, or near the hip bone or is it close to the belly button or is it more towards the outer aspect?

3. Does it hurt?

4. Can you feel or see any movement in that lump?

5. What is the size of the said lump?

6. Is it present all the time of the day?

7. How hard is it to feel?

8. Can you move it with your fingers in all directions?

9. Had you in the past undergone any surgery in that area, & is that swelling arising in that scar area?

10. Has it been increasing in size?

11. Does it move up or down when take a XXXXXXX breath?

Please do write back to me with answers to all these questions so that I will be able to help you better.

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lump on the right side of the stomach. Is it an enlarged intestine? 18 minutes later
I noticed it 2yrs ago. Its on the right side just below the ribs. It only hurts when I eat and when I touch it. Do not see movement. Its small the size of a pea. Yes its present daily. Its very easy to feel but not bulging out. It doesn't move around if that's what you mean. I haven't had any surgery ever in my belly. I have no children either. It has gotten wider in the past few months. No, it doesn't move up or down.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 35 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for reverting back to me with the answers.

After going through your answers carefully I would like make these following observations.

1. The lump you have noticed could be something related to the gall bladder.

2. I suspect an obstructed bile duct leading to some inflammation and bile retention in the gall bladder leading to a noticeable lump.

3. Other possibilities could be a lipoma or a lump arising from the abdominal musculature.

4. The best thing to do for you would be to visit a general surgeon and get yourself examined thoroughly and if needed a fine needle aspiration cytology or an ultrasound scan of the abdomen will confirm the diagnosis.

It is quite hard for me to comment on the lump any further, without the benefit of actually being able to feel that lump, so I request you to schedule a visit to a general surgeon.

I sincerely hope this information helps you. Please do not hesitate to write back if you have any more questions or doubts.

Wishing you good health.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lump on the right side of the stomach. Is it an enlarged intestine? 26 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 38 minutes later
You are most welcome.

Have a great day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor