Is using Viagra for maintaining erection safe?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Sexual Health
Question: hello Dr.s,
i am thinking of taking viagra to increase my libido
i do not have ED, but when i do get an erection it will not stay erected for a long period of time
is viagra safe? i have heard it is not good for the heart
is there a natural supplement that is just as effective.
just to note: i eat well and work out with weights and cardio therefore i am in good health other than needing to lose about 20lbs
i take coq10, magnesium, d-ribose and a multivitamin and mineral supplements

thx, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My suggestion.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern towards your erectile sustaining problem.

As per the information provided by you, your erection is fine, but there is problem with sustaining as it mainly depends on the production of nitric oxide.

Definitely, Viagra that is Sildenafil helps in sustaining the production of nitric oxide and it helps in long standing erections.

Yes, there are few side effects for Sildenafil including cardiac effects like palpitations, increased heart rate, arrhythmias etc, but those are rarest of rare, that is around 0.1-1%.

So, I advise that if you have any previous cardiac complaints, you may not prefer this drug.

Otherwise it is a good option. As your blood pressure is also under control, you can take this drug.

But, if you are very much worried about side effects, you can go for Nano-Leo sachets, which is composed of L-Arginine, Ginko biloba etc.

Other option is ProSolution gel.

You can discuss about these options with your doctor and follow accordingly.

Hope this information would help you.

Dr. Soujanya, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad