Is thumb sucking normal in a newborn?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi doctor,

My eight weeks old has suddenly taken into sucking her thumb n finger almost as often as possible when she is awake...
i assumed its a sign of hunger but looks like its more to comfort herself as she is tries to suck her fingers even right after feed.

should i make attempts to stop her from this (as we fear her developing thumb sucking habits in future )or is it a normal thing for a eight weeks old and let her do it.

her Birthweight - 3.8kg
8 weeks weight - 5.6 kg
exclusively breastfeed active baby
pee count - 10+

thanks
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does not indicate hunger. It indicates that the baby is feeling left out

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Sucking thumb is a sign of insecurity and lack of company. In other words, your child is feeling left out and seeks constant interaction from you. It does not indicate hunger. Attempts to pull out the thumb or to stop this behavior without actually addressing the underlying issue would be pointless. Rather, you and your wife need to constantly interact with and cuddle the baby.

Let me know if I could help further.