Is there any known risk for cataract surgery while taking Trimethoprim for urinary tract infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I take trimethoprim for urinary tract control. Due to have cataract surgery on friday. Not allergic to anything. Are there any issues?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no known risk for surgery

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are no known reasons that trimetoprim cannot be used in a person having surgery for any reason. It has been tested in the past to see if it would prevent infections in persons undergoing a different type of surgery.

You should let the surgeons know that you are using it to make sure that there are no interactions with the medications that they may prescribe before, during or after surgery.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions