Is there a chance of twin pregnancy if two follicles are maturing and releasing egg in an IUI cycle?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi-
I am supposed to go for an unmedicated IUI tomorrow and I have one follicle that is 23MM and another that is 12MM as of this morning. The 23MM was 16MM during my last ultrasound on Friday while the 12MM has not grown. My question is if the 12MM could still contain a mature egg and be fertilized. I want to avoid risk of twins, so would rather cancel if there is a higher chance. My Dr thinks it is a leftover follicle and that there is not really a risk. Is that correct?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Less chance of twin pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

There is possibility of this 12 mm follicle maturing and releasing egg. But still twin pregnancy is unlikely.

Considering your age, let me tell you that success in any IUI cycle is around 10 percent only.

Two follicles would be better to have increased chances of pregnancy in IUI cycle.

Please go ahead with IUI as I don't think there is increased chance of twins.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Dr. Soumya,
OBGYN

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 3 minutes later
Thank you for the response. Just for some background, I get pregnant extremely easy and actually had a chemical pregnancy off an IUI last month, with that one being a natural one as well. If the 12MM hasn't grown in 72 hours, is there still a chance it could start growing again or be matured?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 22 hours later
Brief Answer:

No

Detailed Answer:

No. It will not grow anymore. No chance of pregnancy from 12 mm follicle.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Soumya,
OBGYN