Is swelling in the foot post surgery of a spiral fracture normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am 'six weeks beyond surgery of a spiral fracture (Tibia and Fibula).....That is the best way I know to describe the break....Not sure if my "verbage" is correct. Anyway......my foot continues to swell and blood tends to pool around the ball of the foot and along the toe line on the bottom of the foot. I elevate throughout the day but the second I am up for a few seconds (now in a "weight bearing" boot)....it swells and blood pools immediately.
My questions......Is this normal? Should I have concern? When does this stop happening? Thanks for your help.
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal and should go away in 6-12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Having swelling of the foot on weight bearing or keeping the leg down is quite normal in case of surgery in leg . If the swelling is persistent even on elevation then it is of concern but swelling which goes away on elevation is not of much concern.
I would suggest knee ankle and foot exercises on regular basis and use of compression stockings if you want to keep foot down.
The swelling should stop when there is adequate muscle action in leg and foot to pump blood back in circulation. generally we expect this to happen in 6-12 weeks.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.