Is pelvic organ reconstructive surgery advisable for an 80 year old with Alzheimer's disease?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: I'm trying to decide whether to have surgery for vaginal prolapse which includes hemmorhoids along with the prolapse. i'm 80 years old and I've never had surgery, so I'm reluctant to have surgery at my age. I've also been diagnosed with Alzheimer Disease and I'm being treated with with a generic drug for Aricept. do you think I should have surgery or use some other methods such as a Pessary or other device that can be inserted and removed?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It all depends on your general condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It all depends on how is your general condition. If you are still an active person, with good heart condition, typical to your age mental condition, and prolapse is the only thing that impedes in normal activity, surgery should be done. Especially if the prolapse is advanced and you are unable to function because of that.

However if you have any other health issues or are bed ridden, Pessary seems the best and safest choice.

Hope this helps.
Regards.