Is pain under the right shoulder blade a sign of gallbladder stone?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Is pain under my right shoulder blade likely to be gall stones?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Pain under shoulder blade, especially under right one is possible sign of gallbladder stone due to referred pain from the irritation of phrenic nerve. However, you should have some degree of abdominal difficulties to confirm the diagnosis and it includes pain under the right upper quadrant, nausea, vomit. It would be best to do abdominal ultrasound to check this out. Other causes include shoulder arthritis, angina pectoris, or posterior pneumonia so it this is related to breathing then lung xrays should be done. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad