Is pain near the lower ribs indicative of an organ problem?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Lump
Question: For the last month, I have had pain in my left lower back near my ribs. I am worried this may be an organ problem rather than muscular.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kidney is the organ to the side, most often has urinary symptoms

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The organs in the back to the side are the kidneys.

Pain related to the intestines are usually felt in the abdomen and though the spleen is also on the left side, it is not usually a source of pain.

In terms of the kidneys, if there are problems with these organs, there are usually kidney symptoms eg change in the smell or color of the urine, blood in the urine, change in the frequency of urination, discomfort with urination.
If you are having urinary symptoms then you should be assessed by your doctor. This would include physical examination along with blood and urine samples.

If there is pain with particular movements, then muscular or soft tissue injury is most likely.
If you can use NSAIDs, then you can try one of these, they reduce inflammation and treat pain eg naproxen, ibuprofen, voltaren.

Topical voltaren gel is also very useful for muscle or soft tissue pain.

If there are no other urinary/kidney symptoms but you are still concerned then you should be seen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions