Is it safe to take Deriphyllin during 32nd week of pregnancy?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,I am 32 weeks pregnant .I am having cough and my gynaecologist prescribed me deriphyllin 150 two times a day.I don't have asthma.Is it safe to have it.please reply.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may avoid deriphylline.

Detailed Answer:
At 32 weeks of pregnancy if the cough is mild and there is no breathing difficulty then there is no apparent need to take deriphylline tabs. You may manage it with saline warm water gargles and steam inhalation twice a day . This shall help but if no relief in next 24 hrs then you may take TAB AZITHROMYCIN 500mg once a day for 3 days under your doctor's supervision and that should provide relief. Azithromycin is an antibiotic and is considered safe in pregnancy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj