Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to separate infant from parents for few month?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My parents are very eager to take my kid with them for a few months. My kid is 16 months old. I'm sure they will take good care of her, but my wife is against this. I'm trying to convince her. Is there any harm in doing this? Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 28 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

As a grandparent myself and as a XXXXXXX pediatrician, my opinion is that it is better that they do not take the baby with them against the mother's wishes.!!

They themselves will repent on some occasions like the child falling sick,injuring herself by falling down,or refusing to eat etc.

I appreciate your parent's interest in offering this but what makes them to insist on this?
The child also is too young to be separated from the mother and will become cranky,refuse to eat,etc. This is called separation anxiety in pediatric psychiatry.!!
Being so young she can not express her feelings but will show indirectly.

ESP if it is another town,it is all the more difficult!!

In the same house,when they are caregivers ,they will face so many problems and have to answer the mother!
The mothers have a tendency to ignore a minor injury that happens when they are around ,but when same thing happens in their absence,the feelings are different.

It is a great responsibility on the parts of grandparents ,ESP in view of reluctance of the mother.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it safe to separate infant from parents for few month? 13 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your response. The reason why my parents insist in taking my kid with them is, my wife and I both are working. My parents are here to look after the kid. They could stay here permanently. My mom falls sick quite often when she comes here, may be due to weather change. So, they feel it is better to take the child there and try for a few days first.
Is it OK if they do this? If she is showing some reluctance then we will surely bring her here. Will that work? Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 minutes later
Personally I am not for this arrangement.
However you have the following alternatives.

1 discuss with your wife and see whether she agrees with this arrangement for a few days as a trial-and if she agrees you can try for a few days.
2 the other alternative is to get her parents to come and stay.
3 your wife can take a sabbatical and sit at home or if she is in IT ,work from home,for a year or so till the child becomes ready for play school by 2 1/2 years.

4 the last but not least ad most important ,try to convince our parents to stay or another few months say a year.
At least this way they will do part time job only!!!!!

All the best Mr Raja.
Hope you are able to decide soon!!
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor