Is it healthy to drink snapple daily? Should I be worried for cancer?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: My daughter who is a singer and 20 years old consumes snapple at least one to two times a day ( diet). I don't think this is healthy. Water would be better or a homemade iced tea. Also, her teeth seemed more stained. I'm always alerted to cancer links. Any thoughts? She will hear it better from a medical doctor than from me. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Although diet SNAPPLE is supposed to be sugar free and has only 10 to 15 calories but it has aspartame in it which has lot of controversies surrounding it.
There are 92 different health side effects associated with its consumption ranging from its effect on skin to brain.

Aspartame is made of 3 components, 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methanol (wood alcohol). In the body methanol breaks down into formaldehyde ( embalming fluid) and formic acid.
The wood alcohol (methanol) is widely distributed throughout the body including brain, muscle, fat and nervous tissue. It is then metabolized to FORMALDEHYDE which enters the cells and binds to the proteins and DNA (the genetic material).
Cytogenetic effects (changes in DNA) have been shown to result from FORMALDEHYDE exposure and DNA damage occurs from FORMALDEHYDE. 

There are lots of informations available in the Internet and you may go through them.

As a doctor I can say that,when so much controversies are surrounding a product,it is always better to stay away from that product.
The best is to use plain water XXXXXXX tea,fresh fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables for healthy body and healthy mind.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks