Is inhaling Clorox fumes harmful?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: On Saturday, I cleaned grout in my tiles with household cleaner and if the stain was bad, I used Clorox. I took a hot shower yesterday and my lungs were on fire. I got out and sat down and they got better. My question is, will they heal on their own or do I need todo something about this?

I just don’t want to wish later in life that I had done something if I needed to do something. Right now I am feeling okay, but I know they are inflamed.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing much is needed.

Detailed Answer:
The inflamed lungs are due to the irritation caused by the chemical fumes that you used to clean the tiles. The inflammation usually decreases on its own in 3-4 days. Using a humidifier can help in decreasing the burning sensation. Since there is no discomfort as of now you need not worry. doing warm saline gargles and having XXXXXXX warm water for drinking will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal