question-icon

Is hair smoothening safe during pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Hi dr. I am in 4th month of pregnancy and I wsnted to know if I can go for hair smoothening? I have asked the technicians from the salon and they are saying that the products for smoothening contain very less chemical and they do not get absorbed in the body. Can you please advise?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It is safe to go for this procedure

Detailed Answer:
hello. thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic.

I am dr Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

I don't think there would be any issue with pregnancy by a hair smoothening procedure. this is because hair is a dead tissue with no blood supply and so nothing gets absorbed through hair. moreover skin is sufficient barrier to allow any significant levels of absorption of something applied topically.

regards
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist