Is gallbladder surgery advisable at the age of 95?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 7 Dec 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My mother who is 95 just had a majorery where she had to get a clonostomy. She has now had a gallbladder attack and they are talking of not operating because of her age and the major surgery she had in September 25. They are saying they will drain it and give her antibiotics. I am very concerned about this because the surgery for gall bladder with the lazer is so simple. What do you think.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery not wise. Doctors are right

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your doctors are very right. Invading the body again fro glal bladder would be not wise as your mother won't be able to tolerate the complications. Take the conservative option doctors provided and stick to that. It is in the best interest of your mother .

Nutshell, conservative therapy is the best course of action in a 95 years old who had been through a major surgery recently.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and your mother and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan