Is continuous sleep overnight normal in a child?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor my baby 52 days old she is sleeping continuously for 5 hours during night and not accepting feed is it anything to worry? She is hardly feeding during night only for 5min but during day she is feeding normally. Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a normal thing

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Can understand your concerns.

This is a normal thing. Child can sleep for 4 to 5 hours during night without milk.

If child is passing urine more than 6 times in 24 hours then it suggests that child is getting enough milk.

I hope this will help you.
Wishing your child good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 43 minutes later
But even after she gets up she feeds only for 5 to 8 min is it ok? and yes she is passing urine nearly 8 to 9 times in a day
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Child should feed around 15 minutes

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Child should feed around 15 minutes every time. Sometimes, the child sleeps during feeding. For this you need to gently tap on foot of child or touch the ear lobe. This wakes child and child resumes feeding.