Is air travel between 18 to 27 weeks of pregnancy considered safe?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I am currently pregnant and planning to fly from usa to XXXXXXX in second trimester.I am planning to go in 4th month and return in 5th month of my pregnancy.Is this recommendable?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is safe to travel during pregnancy by air...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the question.

This is a very common concern on the part of pregnant women. It is completely safe to fly with the following qualifications:

1. The cabin pressure is maintained such that your body always feels as though it is at an altitude of about 5-6,000 feet. The importance of this is that the amount of oxygen (referred to as the oxygen tension) in the air is maintained at safe levels. Even at increased elevation, though, the fetal blood has a preference for oxygen regardless how you feel. I hope that this makes sense.

2. The main concern that I would have for a pregnant patient on a flight is the potential for prolonged immobilization. If you sit in a certain position for too long, there is a risk of blood clots in your legs. It is recommended that you stretch and flex your legs occasionally to keep blood moving and also get up and move around every 1-2 hours (depending on the length of the flight). You will likely need to go to the bathroom more frequently anyway.

3. With regard to care travel, the recommendations in #2 above apply

I sincerely hope that this addresses your concerns.

Dr. Timothy Raichle, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad