Is Ipratropium bromide effective in managing COPD?

Posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I haveCOPD. My Wife has an inhaller. She uses Ipratropium Bromide. My shstems got worse the day befpre Thandgiving. No one is on duty to help me. can I use the inhaller?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes you can, but it'll be better to combine it with Salbutamol or Albuterol..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Well, you can certainly use the Tiotropium inhaler but it'll be even better if you can find a combination of Salbutamol or Albuterol with it (commonly available as Duolin), as it works better cumulatively in opening up the air-way passages during the crisis phase..

Even if you can't, Do take the Tiotropium, try to breath slowly, inhale slowly mainly, and try to exhale deeply.. Take steam inhalation if you feel any congestion symptoms or phlegma..

Considering the unavailability of medical personnel, if despite following this, symptoms don't get better within a while, then please don't delay anymore and visit your nearest ER/Urgent care for a quick evaluation (Chest X-ray and blood gas analysis) and some nebulization therapy (with low flow Oxygen and Salbutamol/Ipratropium and/ systemic cortico-steroides i.e. Hydrocortisone therapy at the earliest)..

Do let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist