question-icon

I was disoriented for about 20 seconds while driving close

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2019
Question: I was disoriented for about 20 seconds while driving close to my home on a very familiar road. I felt I was lost until I saw a sign and that reinstated my sense of reality. I am 82 years old and somewhat forgetful.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
An MRI and Neurologist visit is recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I don't think this is something related to a disease. If it is a very rare episode it can happen to everyone especially to people your age.

During aging the brain changes causing these episodes in the absence of neurodegenerative disease or the neuropsychological profile of healthy older adults.

In this scenario, you should visit a Neurologist and do an MRI to role out neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia, mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer etc.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka