question-icon

I was circumcised last year, my penis sometimes is chafed

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019
Question: I was circumcised last year, my penis sometimes is chafed and tender; is this normal? Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Rodriguez,

The circumcision site should be thoroughly healed by now. While the exposed skin may be somewhat more sensitive than what you were used to when you had a foreskin, it shouldn't be actually chafed.

Sometimes the skin can be sensitive to certain soaps or other cosmetic/hygiene products. It's also possible that there is some yeast overgrowth on the skin which can make it seem irritated.

I recommend you go into your doctor for him or her to have a look in person. You may need an anti-yeast/antifungal cream to apply. Keep the skin as dry as possible if it is yeast, by changing out of underwear that might get sweaty from exercise, wearing loose-fitting cotton briefs.

So...no, I would not expect that 1 year after surgery you are having these symptoms.

I hope this information helps.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh