I took one dosage of antenolol yesterday can i just

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: I took one dosage of antenolol yesterday can i just stop taking it or no ?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Atenolol is a medication for high blood pressure and for control of heart rhythm and is generally used regularly for a long time to work it's effect.

If you are taking it for the above reasons and the doctor has prescribed it and you are well tolerating it than it might be better to continue with it. You can stop it but it will not be helping with the above if you do.

On the other hand if you have used Atenolol for a long time and you stop it abruptly sometimes patients might experience symptoms of withdrawal with the heart racing and chest discomfort. It is always best to do drug changes with the advice of the doctor.
If you took it only once or few times and you stop it, this is not a problem, but you will not have the desired effect of the treatment if you need this drug though.

Sometimes doctors prescribe it for random use in anxiety and social phobia, in this case you use it when you need it and it's OK to not take it regularly.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Antoneta Zotaj, General and Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy