I recently awoke with severe leg cramps , & when

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I recently awoke with severe leg cramps, & when I sat up on edge of bed, I was very dizzy. I tried to get up and passed out on the floor. I don't know how long before I woke, bumped my head and bit my lip. I tried to get up to get water from the bathroom and evidently fell again in the bathroom. I awoke on the floor . . . very dizzy and struggled to get up . . . I also fell on my bottom which is extremely sore and bruised
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be best to be seen and assessed by a doctor.

There are different causes for the symptoms described and it is very likely the symptoms are not related to a serious condition, these still need to be ruled out.

Some of the more common reasons include: (1) dehydration
(2)electrolyte imbalance
(3)infection
(4)side effect of medication
(5)an abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia) or heart related conditions can also cause dizziness and loss of consciousness and cramps
(6)anemia
(7) very very rarely- minor stroke

An assessment by your doctor is needed to determine the cause. This would require physical examination, bloods and other investigations such as EKG and possibly CT scan brain, depends on the examination findings.

In many cases, symptoms are due to a treatable cause but it would be best to be seen.

Treatment depends on the cause found

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions