I have indentations on otherwise not swollen ankles from elastic

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have indentations on otherwise not swollen ankles from elastic in socks Is this symtomatic of heart disease Indetations disappear within minutes Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanation on how to distinguish abnormal indentations given below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at "Ask a Doctor" service.

Indentations on the ankles are not necessarily a sign of a heart disease. If they are at the area of the socks and then disappear within minutes of taking off the socks than very likely they are due to the pressure the sock cause on the skin and not real cause to worry. Kindly provide a photo of the indentations so that I am better able to help.

The best place to check for swelling from the heart disease is the shins, a few cm above the ankles. If you press there for a few seconds and if after you remove the fingers you notice indentations then there is swelling. Even in this case not all swelling are due to heart disease and I would recommend you to see a doctor to determine the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj