I have had chest congestion with tremendous coughing. As of
During an awful coughing fit (to the point of vomiting and gagina along with coughing to 7+ minutes) a sharp pain along with a dull and full filling has hit my left lung area. When I cough or breathe deeply there is a fair amount of pain.
What should I do!
welcome to the 'Ask a Doctor' service.
Unilateral sudden chest pain after strenuous coughing may raise suspicion for pneumothorax. Pneumothorax occurs when a part of the lung ruptures and air becomes trapped in the dysfunctional part. Pain and shortness of breath depend on the severity of this disorder. It can be diagnosed both clinically (difficult if limited to a small part of the lung) and radiologically (easier).
Other considerations include the following:
- muscular strain due to coughing. The X-ray should be negative and local tenderness may be evident on the involved muscle.
- rib fracture: it should be extremely painful when palpated.
The best next step for you would be to do a chest X-ray. You should visit either your doctor or the ER for clinical and radiological assessment.
I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Thank you for your time.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?