I have a mild case of IBS . I have

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a mild case of IBS. I have been eating the same very healthy vegetable soup for lunch most days for about a month, but today, 9 hours after eating it, at 9 p.m., I vomited up a real lot of it. My dinner didn't seem to be mixed in with that lunch, maybe a few slivers of the chicken I ate. Why vomit the lunch and not the dinner I had at 5:00 p.m.? I don't have any other symptoms. Why did that happen? I was feeling like I might be getting a sinus attack or a cold for a few days, but I used warm salt water and a wash cloth on my face, and it seemed to have disappeared.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like food poisoning rather the soup itself.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to " Ask A Doctor "service. I have read your question and here is my advice. Sorry to hear of your sickness.
Infact the attack of vomiting may not be related to the content of soup itself as you have been taking it for quite a time , rather it looks like a food poisoning caused by intoxication of food . Any food can cause food poisoning if it is contaminated with germs or toxins. This is common problem.Whatever is the food , if it's contaminated it can cause acute vomiting which may be severe as is yours.So thats what look like your peoblem.Luckily this is most of the times self remitting and vomiting settles it'self.
So I understand this was a type of food poisoning and if the vomiting is settled , you should not worry.Take more fluids and ORS .It's not about the soup or your IBS.
However if vomiting is persitent, or you feel week we may need to give some intravenous fluids in the ER but that's unlikely in your case .
Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. Please don't hesitate to ask anything else you need to know. kind Regards Dr Rahman. .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 31 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. It appears you were right because after vomiting, even though tired for the rest of the night, I felt fine and still do. I was surprised I never had a bowel movement while vomiting, though. I had food poisoning way back in the 1980's and it was coming out of both ends then. I thought this time on Friday, I might be getting a virus, but it never happened. What does ORS in your above answer mean? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detalied answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi , thanks for writing back to us .I am happy that you feel well.
In fact food poisoning not necessarily means to have both vomiting and loose stool .Though it's possible to have either of them or both .Yes Most virus and germs do cause both but not must .
Sorry I mentioned ORS with out writing it full .ORS stands for Oral Rehydration Therapy .This is balanced solution of salt and electrolytes used to replace body fluid lost during vomiting or diarrhea. They are available over the counter.You may not need it .
Good luck , enjoy a healthy life.
Please feel free to write back to us if you have any further question.