I am burping constant and a sharp pain goes up

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am burping constant and a sharp pain goes up from my neck to the right side of my head (cannot stop burping ).
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Burping

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Do you mean hiccups or actual burping? How long has this been going on?

I don't have much information to go on (age, medical problems, medications, recent ingestion of spicy or greasy food, etc) so I will only be able to provide general information here.

If it is burping, not hiccups, it can sometimes be caused by irritation of the stomach, such as from medications like ibuprofen, alcohol, or other factors, and sometimes from gall bladder or biliary tract inflammation.

If it is repeatedly hiccuping, this can be from a spasm of the diaphragm.

The pain radiating to the right side of the neck is likely related to the pressure from the digestive tract.

If you provide more information I can try to answer more directly.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
I usually get the pain in neck and up to my head before my period comes but this the first time I am having the burping .i also had previous accidents in the pass where I hurt my neck .
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
You can try to address a possible digestive problem which might be associated with the burping. Try taking an antacid (Tums, Mylanta, etc) and see if that offers some relief. If you take Mylanta, take the kind that also has simethicone in it as that helps break up gas. That might help both problems.