I am a female, age 20. For the last month

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 11 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a female, age 20. For the last month one ear has felt full on and off and I had occasional dizziness. In the last 10 days I have become increasingly fatigued and my ear is constantly plugged and dizziness has increased. There is no mucus or nasal congestion. I sent a message to my doctor last week, 5 days later he replied and told me to take the Bonine
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bonine is for motion sickness.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Bonine is for motion sickness. I think at this point it would be best to go in person to have your ear looked at with an otoscope, as having a good look is an easy thing to do and can help distinguish between a number of different middle and external ear problems. We can see if the ear is infected (red, opaque ear drum), or if there is clear fluid behind the ear drum (which causes an air-fluid level and sometimes bubbles) which can come up due to a eustachian tube dysfunction.

If you are having dizziness that is positional, such as turning your head in bed, that can be benign positional vertigo. Let me know if that is what is going on and I can give you specific exercises to help correct that. These are usually more helpful than meclizine.

But the main thing right now - go in to have your ear and throat looked at (even if you don't feel any mucus or post nasal drainage).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj