question-icon

I am a 69 year old male runner, 6 miles,

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2019
Question: I am a 69 year old male runner, 6 miles, twice a week. 5'10" 156 lbs. I have developed swelling and sore veins from below my ankle to the toes of my left foot, the right foot is fine. It began 2+ months ago, has not improved, though I have not run in 3 weeks. thank you
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (57 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Varicose veins.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopedic Surgeon.

I have read the question and in my opinion, the first possibility would be varicose veins in the legs causing dependant oedema, which appears as swelling in the foot, since there is no history of injury to the foot.

Hence I'd suggest that you wear below knee compression stockings for 2-3 weeks to see if the swelling disappears.

If the result is not satisfactory then you will need to be examined by an orthopaedic surgeon to decide the further course of action (which may include a Doppler scan of the lower limb).

Thank for the question.
Please feel free to ask any other question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon