I already sent in the question, the doctor has reveiwed
Detailed answer below
Thanks for asking,
Diarrhea lasting more than 4 weeks is called chronic diarrhea and tests and investigations might be needed to identify the cause and needed treatment (considering you've had a clear colonoscopy already).
These investigations would be:
- stool microscopy and stool culture
- stool test for ova and parasite
- stool antigen for giardia
- stool test for fat content
- fecal occult blood test
Meanwhile, you should make sure you take oral rehydration solutions ORS in pharmacy to substitute water and electrolyte loss.
If no blood with stools and mucus, you can try some loperamide to help reduce the frequency of diarrhea (loperamide should not be used if you get blood or mucus with stools or if you get abdominal pains).
Try to avoid milk as well (you can take cheese and yogurt), as sometimes milk intolerance may happen and cause diarrhea.
If you use any other medications for other reasons, even over the counter medications we should consider their side effects and possible relation to diarrhea.
Greasy food and sweets, coffee and alcohol make diarrhea worse as well so, if at all taking, please try to avoid them.
I hope this answers your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?