How to treat alcohol addiction?

Psychiatrist
Question
dear sir my father is very addicted of alokohal he drink every day from last 10 years and his bp and sugar both are high sugar 300 but he don't take serious about his health ,what should we do .and how to reduce drink .
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
By counseling

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears that your father is developed dependence for alcohol and he is unable to control his drinking habits. In my opinion rather than an indulgence he is helpless in regard to quitting alcohol. No insane person will prefer to neglect his health provided he is capable. But your father is incapable for such decisions because of alcohol dependence.

In my opinion he need assistance in alcohol detoxification by both counseling and medication. Counseling helps the individual to make appropriate decision while the medication help him in executing his decision.

You are requested to see a capable psychiatrist in your city without delay.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.