How to toilet train a child?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: I have a 5 year old and when he plays or he is at home doing something he likes he will
not go to the bathroom and pees on himself. We always tell him to go and he always says he does not need to. When we are at the shopping mall he will go and does not pee in his pants. When he sleeps he wears a pull up. Should we be concerned and how can we help him
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

It is a good sign that he does not pee in pants when it is socially unacceptable. It just goes to say that the child can with hold urine and passes whenever it is socially acceptable.
Children usually get busy when they are playing, so sometimes fail to experience fullness of bladder. This leads to overflow of urine and pant wetting.

The solution is temporary interruption of play and diverting the mind . It also needs to be explained to the child to void everywhere 2 who urs irrespective of whether he has the sensation or no.
There is no need to be worried or strict in this matter.

In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon