How to potty train a toddler?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: My son has just turned four and he refuse all efforts of potty training and he also won’t drink anything that is not in his bottle. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A step by step systematic approach needs to be taken

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It may often be difficult to potty train a child. However, a step by step approach would help you through.

* Make sure that the child drinks plenty of fluids and takes a good amount of green leafy vegetables with diet.

* Keep a time of the day fixed for potty. Irrespective of whether the child feels like passing stool, make sure to make him sit on the potty at least for some time.

* It is also important to include a lesson on maintaining hygiene.

* Encourage him to develop the habit. You can start awarding him stars for every day he passes stool on the potty. Award him a certain gift after he achieves a certain number of stars. The gift should be a non-food impetus, something like a pencil or eraser that possibly you would have given him anyway.

* You may already be knowing this but never punish your child for wetting or soiling his pants

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee