How to maintain healthy weight in a toddler?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor My daughter is 3 years old. She was growing quite well but for last 6 months her weight is constant at 16 Kg and for last couple of months it has gone down to 15.7-15.8 Kg. She can not eat solid food as she has vomiting tendency while swallowing food and we feed her by grinding food in a Mixer. is there any concern for body weight not increasing? how her food habit can be rectified? Her activities and energy level are completely normal
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
weight gain is slow at this stage.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Weight gain is less around 2 to 4 years and appetite usually parallels the weight gain, so the oral intake of children also less. This is common in kids.

And during feeding, if we try to feed forcefully or in excess amounts they have tendency to vomit.

Because of their small volume of stomach, they can eat small amounts of food. So to meet their growing needs food should be given in small amounts at regular frequent intervals like 5 to 6 times in a day.

This small amounts of food should be made energy and calorie dense by adding ghee or edible oil.

So try to feed her frequently 5 to 6 times in a day, add ghee to her food and feed till she wants. Don't force for feeding. Praise her for completing the feed.

Make feeding times pleasure for kid. Usually normal diet can be given and no need to grind the food in the mixer. Instead maker to sit at dining table along with all family members and show her the act of chewing the food regularly. This will work as role model.

And as the child is active, playful, and 16 kg weight at this age is within normal limits, so there is nothing to worry.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 hours later
What is the normal weight range in this age ? Any supplements that may be added in diet?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
normal range is 11 to 18 Kg.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your query.

The normal range for weight is 11 to 18 Kg. And your child weight of 16 Kg is within normal limits.

If your kid is taking a balanced nutritious diet including vegetables, leafy vegetables, fruits, milk products then no other food supplements are required.

If the child is a picky eater, you can give food supplement with the advice of your Pediatrician. There are commercially available food supplements like Pediasure or Proteinex Junior.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj