Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

How to increase weight of a baby?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
This question is related with my son, who was born on 29-Jan with 3.09 KG (Cesarian delivery) in 38th week. I do not see any health problem with baby considering his day to day activities. What worry to me is - his body/health is not very good. He has fine face, but rest of his body (mainly tummy) is very thin. Fat is very low in entire body, bones are more visible. Refer attached image of baby. He is on breast feeding most of the time & some time my mother give him cow's milk. Please suggest what should we do to improve his health?I forget to mention, his health was good when he born. But as on today, it has gone down. I have uploaded the pic of baby. Please do let me know if you need more details.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. First I congratulate you on arrival of new family member. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Initially during first 10days baby looses some weight.and after that weight gain is there. I suggest you to: -give EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING till 6months of age. -cows milk is to be given after 1 year of age. -do coconut massage. -monitor his acrivity and urine output. -get him examined regularly by pediatrician. Weighy gain can be monitored by plotting weight on weight chart,which your doctor will do regularly. -vit D supplementation needs to be started after consulting your doctor. In case you observe that he is lethargic or there is decrease intake of feed and decrease urine output get him evaluated. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help further. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor