question-icon

How to get rid of body lice?

Posted on Wed, 30 Sep 2015
Question: I need a good information on body lice on how to get rid of them, it seem like they come back all the time, I have them for the last few months. Is it true that body lice can live in clothing for up to a month? And how long there eggs can survive in a normal area? And a lice die within 5 to 7 days if they fall off a person. What do I need to do in my house to get rid of them.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Treatment of body lice

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I can understand your concern. Yes an adult louse can live upto 30 days on the clothing of its host as it only visits the skin to have a feed. The lice will die within 8-10 days off the host as they wont get blood meals. The eggs will die within 30 days away from the host.
To get rid of them you need to treat the clothes you are wearing properly as clothes are its natural habitat.Tumble drying is the most effective means of killing both lice and eggs. Go for high temperature washing and ironing of clothes as the body lice won't survive.
Hope to have answered your queries .
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (41 minutes later)
Can the eggs live longer in difference habitat? some people told me it could be up to 30 days is it thrut?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Body louse egg survival

Detailed Answer:
This is what I have mentioned that eggs will die within 30 days away from the host that is in a different environment.
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist